Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Adventures in Commuting - Day 3 NYC

Snowing this am, so I took my car to the bus station but wasted so much time trying to find a place to park that it was more effort than walking the .68 mile to the bus even in the snow. Left work @ 5:10 so I THOUGHT I would catch an earlier bus, but the line for my bus was snaked throughout Port Authority. Announcem...ents just said there was 30 minute delay with no explanation, so I waited & waited.

The guy in front of me was about to have an apoplectic fit. The veins on his neck were protruding and he was seething with anger as he watched all the other lines moving, but not ours. I contemplated eating the formerly hot pretzel that I was bringing home to Albert, but decided it would be too much work to get it out of my bag to bother with it. The line finally moved and once again SRO on the bus, so I took my place and braced myself for the ride.

Let me tell you about SRO on a bus. There isn’t a hell of a lot of space to stand, and of course the bus is jerking all over the place. They don't have straps to hang onto so you either grab the handle at the top of the headrest where someone is sitting or you hold onto the overhead compartments meant to hold bags & packages. Hanging onto the headrest is intrusive to the person sitting. Holding onto the compartment forces you to hang over people, so you’re pretty much SOL no matter what.

So this guy sitting to my right has his cell phone in the outer pocket of his coat and it starts ringing. He attempts to get his phone and in the process grabs my ass because we are in such close proximity. It was an accident, but I whipped around and glared at him. He apologized profusely and sheepishly answered his phone. Don’t worry, when the bus jerked to the right my hand slipped off the compartment and nailed him in the head pretty hard. What? It was an accident.

No comments: