Monday, April 9, 2007

Dumping Syndrome

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715/

Dumping syndrome A condition that occurs when food moves too fast from the stomach into the small intestine. Symptoms are nausea, pain, weakness, and sweating. This syndrome most often affects people who have had stomach operations.

Yeah, I read a lot about it prior to my surgery. I waited and waited, but it didn't happen and so I forgot most of what I had read about it. Then it happened to me and I thought I was going to DIE.

Once it happens you will never forget the sensation. I was at work when it occurred. Every morning I make myself a cup of tea when I get to the office. This one particular morning I saw a box of Swiss Miss hot chocolate. I decided that hot chocolate might be nice for a change of pace. Because I only buy diet drinks at home, it never occured to me to check to see if the hot cocoa was diet or not. I boiled the water and took a sip. Then I took another sip. Then I thought I was going to DIE.

Seriously. I didn't know what was happening. I ran to the bathroom and promptly threw up. Not a pretty chocolaty sight. Normally, when I have puked when not feeling well I immediately felt better. Not this time. I was nauseous. I was sweating. My stomach was in turmoil. I looked at the packet of hot cocoa. It was not diet. Too much sugar all at once, I guess. Not a good feeling. I will not be drinking that again.

No comments: