Thursday, October 4, 2007

Writing Lab

My daughter's preschool lets the kids decide each day which labs in the classroom they will attend. They have a choice of: science, writing, reading, art, dramatic play. They are required to go to at least three of the lab areas each day. We also get a pile of paperwork to take home each day.

Today one of my daughter's pieces of artwork had a few sentences written at the top of the page. The "artwork" consisted of a series of squiggled lines that looked like waves to me. The sentences read as follows:

10 weeks ago this ducky lost its mommy and daddy. The ducky had no one to look after it. The ducky was sad. Then the ducky got a new family and was very happy.

I asked my daughter about the paper. She pointed to the squiggles and said they were the ducks and the duck's family. I read her the words and she said she made up that story and her teacher wrote it down for her since she doesn't know how to write yet. It was so sweet I just wanted to cry.

My daughter is amazing.

No comments: