Monday, November 13, 2006

Diabetes Gone in Five Days

I've been recording my blood sugar levels since I've been home from the hospital. Other than the first day, my readings have been normal. Fasting overnight it has been 86. After "eating" it has been 95-101 consistently. I have not been taking any oral diabetes medication since I've been released from the hospital, as per doctor instructions.

I saw Dr. Fink today and he was elated with my results. He only wants to test randomly periodically, but that these results were likely to stay. I am pleased, but once I start eating more solids I will test regularly for a while to satisfy myself. Blood pressure is still high so I am staying on the Atenolol for now. I am hoping that with a significant weight loss that I will not have to take this medication for long.

As for weight loss...I am going to wait until Wednesday to reveal that because that is the day I meet with Dr. Bypass. I want to use his scale as the true barometer. However, I will say that the day after I came home I hoped on the scale just to see and there was a 6 pound gain! After three days of no eating, I gained weight. I know it was because of all the fluids I was getting, but It was disappointing. I will share that the extra weight plus more is already gone, but the official count will be later this week.

No comments: