Monday, November 6, 2006

Surgery Day November 6, 2006

We dropped our daughter off at the babysitter's house at 8:30. She was so upset at my decision to have the surgery. She had been crying too. "Are you sure you want to do this?" she asked. I answered that I was sure. She hugged me and wished me well and said, "I think you look great just the way you are." I kissed my daughter goodbye and we got back into the car. By this time, I was crying. I just wasn't expecting that sort of reaction from the babysitter. She rattled me, but I quickly calmed down. As I mentioned before, I had total faith in this surgeon. I know that I would be fine.

We got to the hospital and checked in at the surgery floor. I got changed into a hospital gown while AR sat looking very nervous. The nurse could not get an IV into me. She tried twice and then said they would have to get it in the OR. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I went to the bathroom about 7 times. Nervous pee I guess.

The anesthesiologist came in and said not to worry about the IV. Dr. Bypass and his assistant came by to see me. Wanted to know if I had any last minute questions. Briefly, the thought crossed my mind to ask if it was too late to change my mind and get the lap band. I knew it was too late, and I also didn't want that surgery, so the fleeting thought passed by quickly. He said it should take about 2.5 hours and then another 1.5 hours in the recovery room.

AR kissed me goodbye and they wheeled me to the OR. Dr. Bypass and his assistant were sitting in the hallway. He said, "They usually make the bariatric patients walk to the OR. You must have some pull because you're getting the royal treatment." It made me laugh. He probably tells all of his patients this joke, but I still thought it was funny.

Once inside the OR, I noticed how cold and white everything was. I slid onto the operating table, which was pretty narrow. The OR nurse instantly got an IV into my wrist. Not the most convenient of places, but it was in. Another nurse was hooking me up to a blood pressure machine, and I started giggling because I'm ticklish, which in turn made the OR nurses laugh.

They put a mask over my face and told me to take a few deep breaths. I had to take more than a few, but the next thing I was aware of was waking up in the OR recovery room. I was cold and asked for a blanket, which they gave me. Before I knew it, I was in my hospital room. I was still kind of drowsy.

AR stayed a few hours and I finally told him to go home. I was in no mood for company. All I wanted to do was sleep, but did I get any sleep??? NO. I was inundated with nurses taking my blood pressure, my temperature, my oxygen levels and my blood sugar all night. No rest for the weary.

No comments: