Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mac & Cheese

Macaroni & cheese is the great comfort food. I made this last week for AR and my daughter to eat as a side dish. As the macs were boiling, I tasted one to see if it was done, and it was so I finished up the dish by straining the noodles and adding butter and cheese. As I was stirring it, I decided to take a bite. After all, I had already eaten one macaroni and I felt fine. I quickly swallowed the cheesy mixture. I had a second bite as well. It was hot so I drank some water.

Two no-nos right there. I'm not supposed to be eating solid food yet and I had two forkfuls. In addition, I am not supposed to drink while I am eating. It fills you up too quickly and pushed the food through my system too soon. Uh, oh. My stomach did not like this. No, it was rebelling because I ate something I should not have eaten.

I sat there and watched while the rest of my family ate. I sipped my iced tea and ate nothing. Immediately after dinner, I felt like I had better lie down. I wasn't on the bed for more than two minutes when I felt the water forming in my mouth. I just knew that I was going to throw up. Would I make it to the bathroom in time? I dashed down the hall and made it just as my stomach heaved up the mac & cheese. It did it again and again. I swear that I threw up way more than I had eaten.

I felt instantly better after it was over. Why did I do it? I wasn't hungry. It just looked so good and creamy and yummy. Now that it is done, I could see that part of the problem is that I really didn't chew the macaroni properly. That, coupled with eating too fast and drinking just was a bad combination. I learned my lesson. I will not be doing this again.

No comments: